Friday 15 February 2019

Good Habits Take Time and Gradual Introduction

From time to time, I’ve found myself on different health kicks ranging from working out every single day to abstaining from alcohol to eating vegan. With time, those health kicks deteriorated and I was back in my old ways with nothing to show for it. The problem up front with these “kicks” of mine is twofold. First, I jumped straight into these things with zero progression. There was no gradual working it into my life.



It was me being gung-ho about my newest health fad thinking that I could sustain that level of commitment so early on. My second problem involved me being too 100% all in on every single one of them. There was no moderation to those health kicks. I’d work out every single day without compromise. I wouldn’t take the slightest sip of alcohol. I wouldn’t try anything but perfectly healthy vegan recipes (which also did quite a number on my wallet that month). This time, though, I’m taking a new approach to the whole health thing. I’m not picking one of those. In fact, I didn’t even actively tell myself that I would start to eat better or drink less this time.



All I did was develop a desire to begin running. From the running came less time to do much outside of work and making dinner, so I found myself drinking less and wanting to drink less. And from that, I’ve seen myself begin to eat better. It’s all been a chain reaction. But one thing I don’t want to get into doing is eliminating alcohol or greasy foods entirely. I quite enjoy trying new beers with my girlfriend, and I’ve even recently become a fan of certain liquors prepared neat.



Just as well, cooking is a huge part of my relationship with her, so we really enjoy new recipes (both healthy and homey). I definitely feel really good about this new approach to all these changes in my life, especially since it’s all in moderation with realistic expectations (to just be healthier rather than lose X amount of pounds). When it comes to my financial situation, I think that a simple but powerful change could be in order as well.

While I already pay insurance on my vehicles and for rent, I’m pretty sure that getting on some form of life insurance could solidify what it means to be healthy as well as financially secure. And with those changes, I know that my life would be on an even better track than it currently is. And really, isn’t this the point to life?



To constantly improve, refine, and learn from everything we do? Even if I push off getting a life insurance policy for a little bit, I know how useful it’ll be once i have it, if not just for the peace of mind. Just as I said early on, I don’t need to jump in full force with 100% let’s-get-at-it attitude to accomplish good things for myself. I only need to realize that those things are good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment